Monday, October 12, 2009

Olive Branch

The Olive Branch petition was a very well written document, however If I were the king I would not believe a single word of it. The colonist made their petition extremely persuasive, by referring to themselves as "loyal colonist" when really they were hiding in their fear by trying to avoid the subject of war. Basically the colonist attempted to use flattery and what was soon to become broken promises to get the king to appeal all of the acts, and begin to do things in the colonist's favor. If I was the queen, I would not believe this petition for a minute. I mean for starters, it's clear that sucking up was weaved into this entire piece of writing yet while they are praising the king their also informing him that war will begin. Really, the colonist somewhat contradict themselves in this piece, i mean how can you go to war against someone you are "completely loyal to and the leader to you mother country ?"

No comments:

Post a Comment